Best rated self propelled lawn mowers: Reviews & Buyer’s Guide 2020
This is a reader supported Website. By clicking on product links, you help us keep producing independent objective analysis at no cost to you. Thanks for your support!
Having a magnificent place of residence with a garden in front is the dream of people. When one talks about gardens, it would be understood that it should be covered with lush green grass. What poses a challenge for having a lawn would be its maintenance. For developing a yard, there could hardly be an issue since nurseries are specializing in making your garden green and attractive with grass. And the grass is a natural creation that knows no boundaries on how or where to grow. The result? The place may lose its attraction due to haphazard growth. But everyone knows there is a solution to this, the lawnmower.
What is a lawnmower?
It.is a machine used to cut the grass surface using one or more revolving blades to make it appear even and well kept. You need not worry about how short or high you want the green cover. It is usually decided by the design of the machine or, in most cases, by the mower. The height can be adjusted by the operator either by using a master lever or by adjusting the height of the wheels using any possible option. The movement of the blades also varies. Sometimes they are connected to the wheels of the machine so that if the mower is pushed forward or pulled backward, the blades spin to sear the grass. Alternatively, the blade operation may be battery-powered or depend on the plug-in electric motor.
What do you understand by a self-propelled lawnmower?
One of the conventional models gaining fast recognition for its operational adaptability is the self-propelled lawnmower. These operate on a drive system wherein the operator is required to squeeze a bar called the “bail” located on the handle. It results in making the mower to start operating. It moves forward on its own without any need to push it). While the machine runs, the self-propelled rotary mower blades start spinning. With the mower moving and blades spinning, all the user needs to do is guide the machine. It becomes necessary to control the direction to avoid unnecessary damage. If the grip on the bar is released, the machine stops in most of the cases.
How to adjust speed on a self-propelled lawn mower
The operation of manual push power and the benefit of a motorized drive system in a self- propelled lawn mower helps to push the mower at a comfortable speed. There is a lever on the mower handle. Which is attached by a cable that helps in the operation of self -propel drive. For the proper operation of the drive system, adjust the drive cable. If it becomes to lose, it may not ensure adequate functioning. There are various steps to be followed:
STEP 1 :
Switch off the mower. The drive cable support bracket has to be located, which is mounted on the handle of mower near the deck.
STEP 2 :
The cable support nut should be loosened with the use of an adjustable wrench. The nut should be turned in a position as counterclockwise.
STEP 3 :
With the help of your fingers, pull down the cable towards the mower deck. To tighten the cable securely, just ensure to turn the cable support nut in a clockwise manner.
STEP 4 :
Check the self-propeller drive function by starting it. If it’s not working, repeat the steps of adjustment procedure. There are several different types of Self-Propelled lawn mower that are extensively available in the market. Some of the Best rated self- propelled lawn mowers are as follows:
Top 10 Best Rated Self- Propelled Lawn Mowers Reviews
The gas-powered self-propelled lawn mowers are also available in the market, but such mowers are powerful and noisy.
On the contrary, in electric mowers, the speed control is in our hands, and also, they are not bulky in weight. It is a pride to own a green lawn and to increase the beauty of gardens. The self-propelled lawn mower is the best. For consumers to choose the best and effective mower for their yard, an extensive study has been done, and some of the best rated Self-propelled lawn mowers have been listed.
1. Lawn Boy 10732 Kohler Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
The model number of this equipment is Lawn-Boy 17732 21-Inch 6.5 Gross Torque Kohler XTX OHV, 3-in-1 Discharge Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Lawn Mower.
It has a rear-wheel-drive system. This drive system gives better traction and therefore makes it easy to be controlled on hilly terrain. The machine comes with a large bag that is quite easy to be emptied.
A 2-point height-of-cut system allows one to quickly adjust the cutting height from one side of the mower. Buyers can be assured of a three-year Tru-Start commitment that starts with 1 or 2 pulls or lawn-boy to fix it for free.
The machine comes with Kohler 149 cc/ 6.5 ft.-lbs. gross torque/ OHV engine and item is non-returnable due to Shipping Weight: 79 pounds
In Kohler XT6 OHV Engine, care of the lawn is done to a new level. It also delivers user-friendly maintenance and robust performance. The superior quality of the Tri-Cut cutting system is provided with the help of a 21-inch dome deck, which is very much durable and lightweight.
The deck height is adjustable at 2points for quick customization in Two-Point height of cut and no need to empty your bag very often as its larger bag capacity holds extensive clippings.
It has a versatile cutting 3-in-1 discharge ability system. It allows you to choose between side discharge mulching or bagging.
- No gas
- No fumes
- Things break down
- Maintainance cost is higher
- Requires fuel storage
2. RY40190 Self Propelled Lawn Mower
The model number for this equipment is Ryobi. 20″ RY40190. Ryobi is tested and certified to make this product look like a new one, and its working mechanism is also changing. It is designed to make this
product a refurbished product. Repacking, necessary cleaning, inspection as well as functionality testing are included in the process of refurbishing. It comes in a generic box and consists of the relevant accessories.
It is a refurbished product and it has been tested and is certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes
- functionality testing,
- necessary cleaning,
It is equipped with a large twenty-inch deck and hence has two in one mulching as well as bagging option. The product ships with all relevant accessories, & may arrive in a generic box
- It uses more convenient and easy to use features which is makes it an ideal option for the user
- It has a smooth start.
- It also has the function of 7 positions single height adjustment.
- You can start mowing without worrying about gas or oil
- Sometimes it drains the battery more quickly while using the propeller
3. Troy-Bilt TB370 163cc Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
It comes with well-equipped features and has a 163 CC Briggs and Stratton driver engine, which has the all-new instep variable speed drive system. This system allows you to address your speed by providing exercise speed control naturally, and it also delivers more traction over the rough and unclear terrain.
It is well equipped with a 21-inch Tri-Action cutting system. This system helps to give you a clean cut in one pass. You can simply adjust the cutting height of this device until up to 6 different settings. The settings range from 1.25-3.75 inches.
It is designed with a 3-in-1 capability to side discharge, mulch or rear bag. You can remove the blade from the adapter for testing balance. Quickly raise and have a lower cutting height with the single-lever height adjuster. It’s powered by a 163cc Briggs & Stratton engine along with ReadyStart choke system for an easy start
- It gives you a two-year limited warranty
- It has a very reliable engine.
- It starts easily and quickly
- This equipment offers three in one Mulching capabilities
- It has amazingly adjustable handles to offer you relaxed and comfortable operations
- It comes with durable wheels.
- The physical body of the mower gets easily damaged sometimes ( depending upon its use)
4. Kobalt Self-propelled Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
This device is equipped with a 21-inch Tri-Action cutting system to give you a clean cut in one pass. You can simply adjust the cutting height of this lawnmower up to 6 different settings ranging from 1.25-3.75 inches. It has a more significant battery life ( 6.0 Ah) as compared to other mowers. And has been developed by using the top-notch technologies.
Most extended battery life, that is, the total run time of this mower is up to 80 minutes when fully charged. It has auto-sensing technological advancement, which automatically adjusts the motor performance.
It works exceptionally well on uneven terrain. It is equipped with an onboard indicator that helps to monitor the battery charging. Motor performance usually provides better run time, which is based on the different and changing grass conditions depending from one area to the other.
- It gives you three cutting styles and options within one single design.
- It has a larger battery, hence longer battery life.
- It comes with a tool warranty of five years
- It Gives you a three-year battery warranty.
- It does not have any blade stop system.
5. Snapper Electric Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
It’s a fantastic product offering several features. It has an intelligent load sensing technology that helps in providing optimum power level and allows you to work more efficiently in your garden with the grass.
The physical body of this mower has a 20-Inch Steel mowing deck. It gives Up To 60-minutes Of Run Time. It has a 3-in-1 design to mulch, bag, or side-discharge grass clippings with ease.
It is a Single lever mower and has seven positions height-of-cut adjustment for ideal lawn height. Vertical storage capability to easily store & save space in your garage or shed.
- Self-propelled Drive With Push Button Start
- Brushless Motor With Intelligent Load-sensing Technology
- Simple Vertical Storage
- 20-inch Cut Width On 3-in-1 Steel Deck
- You might need an extra battery for its usage, as the battery drains out soon.
6. Troy-Bilt Self-Propelled 3-in-1 Front Wheel Drive Mower
It is a mower which comes with 159cc OHV Engine. The variable speed of the front-wheel-drive helps to improve the controls. And allows for quick turning while mowing. It is equipped with a rear bag, side discharge options and a mulch kit, you have a choice for disposing of grass clippings. You can depend on Troy-Bilt to keep yard work from feeling like a chore, and we won’t let you down.
It provides you an improved control and also gives quick turns option with variable speed front-wheel drive. It has a deck wash adaptor which helps in making the maintenance more accessible. This is done by merely connecting a standard garden hose to rinse clippings.
This mower also has a TriAction cutting system that delivers a clean-cut look to your yard. The symmetrical deck, rake bumper and specialized blade, together with work in an efficient manner to create finely mulched clippings & a clean, even cut every time.
Side discharge chute comes with a handy, built-in clip to attach to handle when not in use. It has Dual-lever. The six-position height adjustment that this device consist makes it easy to change cutting heights from 1.25 inches. To 3.75 inches.
- The 1.9-bushel rear bag of Troy-Bilt lawnmower collects grass clippings for easy cleanup.
- Mulch kit included helping put nutrients back into the soil for a healthier lawn
- It has a side discharge chute which is very handy to use.
- It also has a built-in clip to get attached to handle when it is not being used.
- It has its controlling grip on the right side ( people who use their left hand might face problem)
- If your yard has various obstacles (trees, beds, gazebo, planters, flower, Etc.), this may not be the mower for you
7. Greenworks 21-Inch 40V Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
The G-Max 40V 21″ Brushless Self-Propelled Mower offers the first self-propelled lawnmower to the G-MAX 40V family of tools. It provides a wide range of easy to use tools. These tools are useful and offer comfortability to the homeowner and those who just want more power.
- GreenWorks manufacture it
- This mower uses a single blade.
- The unit in the mower is self-propelled
- Added battery storage compartment allows you to carry an extra battery to extend runtime
- 3-in-1 cutting deck with Side Discharge, Mulching, & Bagging capabilities
- Single lever height adjustment with seven settings ranging from 1-3/8″ to 3-3/4 inch.
- Self- Propelled Drive System
- Durable 21″ Steel Deck
- This mower has ball bearing wheels
- Battery life is not sufficient, provides minimal runtime even after complete charging.
8. Troy-Bilt Walk Behind Self Propelled Lawn Mower
It has an accurate variable speed front-wheel drive transmission that will turn more easily around landscape features and obstacles. This Troy-Bilt is equipped with the TriAction cutting system. This system includes a rake bumper to lift grass upright and offers several other features as well.
It comes with a rake bumper to lift grass upright. It has a specially designed blade for a more excellent mulch and a symmetrical deck for superior grass flow, which helps in eliminating the clumps.
It has a 4 stroke system. The TB210 self-propelled mower comes with three options to dispose of grass clippings, including side discharge, mulch, or rear bagging capabilities.
- It comes with a dual-lever height adjusters for easy changes in cutting height.
- It has a deck wash adaptor to help clean the underside of the deck, enables you to care for both your yard and your mower more easily.
- It is equipped with the TriAction cutting system.
- The weight of this mower is pretty more as compared to that of others.
9. Snapper RP2185020 / 7800981 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
This is a Self-Propelled Lawn Mower with 21-Inch Deck and ReadyStart System, Ninja Mulching Blade, and 7 Position Height-of-Cut.
It has a ninja blade that features six different sturdy cutting surfaces. It finely mulches your grass while the deck design blows them away from the lawn.
It also has a Rugged solid Steel front Axle. Has a stamped Steel mower deck provides long-lasting performance season after season
- You can easily change the height of cut with the easy to use adjustment handles (7 height of cut adjustments from 1.25 inch to 4 inches)
- It has a Briggs & Stratton 850 professional Series engine.
- It has an easy to go and a ready start engine.
- It gives no priming and no choking
- Sometimes the rear-drive system is a challenge to handle.
- It Cranks up in a few pulls.
10. Honda HRX217K5VKA Versamow System Lawn Mower
Along with Honda’s powerful NEW GCV200 engine, this HRX217VKA mower is a top performer.
Powerful & Easy-Starting GCV200 Honda mower engine with micro cut twin blades – superior mulching and bagging. 4-in-1 Versamow System with Clip Director – Quickly switch between mulching, bagging, discharge, and leaf shredding
The mower features Select Drive – Easily adjust the mower’s speed to operators’ stride. Rust-free Nexite deck with Limited Lifetime Warranty
- 5-year mower warranty
- 3-position Quick Release adjustable handle
- Seven position cutting height adjustment (.75″ to 4″)
- It has a large 9″ ball bearing wheels offer better maneuverability,
- It gives a smoother drive and increased durability
- Honda’s sizeable 2.5-bushel capacity grass mower bags are easy to empty, saving you time and effort
- The blade assembly gets damaged sometimes.
How to choose the Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower: Buyer’s guide.
To understand which one to choose you need to understand the various types of mowers. Few are given below.
- Battery Mowers: These electric mowers are powered by batteries. They cut the grass very efficiently of your lawns. It consists of lithium-ion battery packs and is available in two different forms. These forms are push and self-propelled varieties.
- Gas Mowers: These powers can’t effectively cut down the grasses of much larger yards. They are gas-fueled mowers. And come in two forms, which are the push and self-propelled gas Mowers.
- Zero Turn Mowers: This equipment has zero turning radius, which makes it practical and ideal for mowing medium and large-sized lawns. With the other mowers, it’s challenging to get in and out of the area. But on the contrary, these zero turn mowers are convenient as well as productive. Maintaining the beauty of yards becomes easy when the right, durable, and sturdy mower is chosen. The Speed of a Mower also plays an important role; let us study in a detailed manner.
What all to consider before you buy a mower?
- Your yard/lawn size: one should consider the appropriate yard size to find a suitable mower for yourself
- Electric start: it helps you in easy accessibility.
- Uniform wheels: when it comes to maneuverability it mowers with uniform wheels is proven to be the best among others.
- Folding or compressing handle: the devices with such a foldable or collapsible handle is much more portable and requires less space.
How to decide which lawn mower is best for your lawn?
The needs and requirements of individuals would vary depending on a variety of factors. One of them could be the size of the area. If it is small, a non-powered push mower would be suitable. This should be considered ideal for small residential lawns or gardens. If the area of operation is large, electrical or, piston engine-powered push-mowers should be perfect. A more substantial variation used in extensive areas could appear like a mini tractor. They are the riding mowers.
Here is the most preferred mower
To relieve this stress and manage this chore in an easiest and simple manner, manufacturers have designed equipment known as Zero Turn MOWERS. This equipment is simply designed in such a way which helps to reduce the amount of time and effort for the mowing session. There are a number of such materials available in the market. As the landscapes are in different sizes, having the right equipment is essential. There are a variety of mowers available in the market, but the top choice is Zero-turn MOWERS.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does engine shut off each time in a self-propelled lawnmower, after you stop its Operation?
As soon as you leave the handle, the engine will shut off automatically. This is a good feature of self-propelled mowers. The engine/blades get stopped, once that blade control is released.
Does the handle in self-propelled mowers fold down?
Yes, in various Self-propelled mowers you have this option of folding it after using it in your lawn.
When should I replace the blades of the mower?
Once the blades are no longer sharp, you should consider replacing them.
Can a lawnmower cut/now a wet grass?
Yes, lawnmowers (most of them) have the ability to mow the wet grass as well, they are equipped with such blades. Though it is advised that you should not use lawnmowers on wet grass.
It has become a norm to ensure that any device offered to the public should have features that ensure the safety of the user. The fact that the machine will not function if the bar on the handle is not pressed provides a lot of protection. Because of this, if the operator happens to notice a potential hazard, all he needs to do to shut the mower is to release the bar. The favorite recreation time on the day off and the afternoon well spent can be therapeutic for many garden lovers. But at the same time, the thought of cutting the grass can produce stress and anxiety for others.
There are a number of models available in the market that could meet the requirements of the user. A review of what each manufacturer has to offer to the user should be handy to decide on what model would best suit the need. I hope this article was useful to you.