5 Best Folding Polywood Adirondack Chairs: Reviews & Buying Guide 2020
This is a reader-supported website. By clicking on product links, you help us keep producing independent objective analysis at no cost to you. Thanks for your support!
Popular Folding Polywood Adirondack Chairs (plus some alternative surprises!)
Could your lawn patio or poolside use some attractive, relaxing furniture? Adirondack chairs are highly popular pieces of garden, patio, and outdoor furniture, providing a perfect mixture of style and comfort. They are made using a variety of materials that range from wood to plastic to Polywood.
We know that you are here to find the best folding Polywood Adirondack chair out of various models available in the market.
Wading through all the options available in the market can be tedious, though. Named after New York State’s Adirondack Mountains, these folding chairs are manufactured by a great number of brands.
In this post, we will cut through the confusion, provide background useful information about folding Polywood Adirondack chairs, as well as suggest to you the top models. We reviewed the top three Polywood, foldable Adirondack chairs.
To spice things up a bit, we added on:
- A rocking chair made of Polywood but is not foldable
- An Adirondack Chair that is foldable but is not Polywood – it’s a natural wood
Polywood Adirondack Chairs: What Are Their Benefits?
Pool parties and outdoor social gatherings are a great way to entertain family and friends. Plus, just hanging out by your pool or on your lawn or patio, is a great way to relax. Now, an Adirondack chair can be a great investment, but why choose patio furniture made from Polywood? If you already know you want a foldable Polywood Adirondack chair, you can go straight to our best choice and read about it here.
Here is a sneak preview of our top choices.
Last update on 2023-09-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What Exactly Is Polywood?
Polywood is a type of plastic, known as high-density polyethylene, or HDPE. It comes from ethylene gas, a petroleum derivative, and then treated to become a solid. Low-density polyethylene is what you use as plastic wrap or bags, but HDPE is harder.
Manufacturers use it to make water pipes, bottles, food containers and so on. If you drink bottled water, you are drinking from an HDPE bottle. And of course, nowadays we see it used as a wood-like substitute.
Advantages of High Density Polyethylene
The advantage of Polywood, and its close cousins, composites, is that it is manmade, not a natural material, which is the case with wood Adirondack chairs. Its advantages over wooden, especially outside furniture are as follows:
- Polywood is a highly durable material that can stand up to rain, snow, and sun, which you cannot expect from wood or lower grade plastic chairs
- These chairs are practically maintenance-free and can last for years
- One common issue with some outdoor chairs is that they lose color. However, Polywood chairs retain their colors exceptionally well
- They are made from recyclable and even used recycled material that allow you to contribute towards the welfare of the environment. Bottles are recycled to this new use, rather than simply being thrown away, creating more waste
- Cleaning Polywood Adirondack chairs is easy
- Unlike wood or other natural materials, it is resistant to insect pests such as termites and wood beetles
The Top 3 Best Folding Polywood Adirondack Chairs to Buy in 2020
If you prefer to cut to the chase and check our top pick, click here: But if you want the full details, then read through until the end.
We have sorted through over 100 models to see their good points and drawbacks, creating the list of the top 53 best folding Polywood Adirondack chairs in 2020.
We also included an unfoldable rocking chair made of Polywood, as well as a folding Adirondack chair made from real wood, just to give you a full array of choices.
Let’s check the products in detail now.
1. Polywood AD5030WH Classic Folding Adirondack Chair (editor’s choice)
We are going to begin the list with this excellent chair, the Polywood AD5030WH. Manufactured using Polywood lumber, it withstands snowy winters, coastal winds, and hot UV rays. Alternatively, storing this chair is easy, too thanks to its excellent construction.
It comes in many shades such lime, lemon, pacific blue, sunset red, and tangerine, as well as more common colors, that include white, teak, black, green, white, and sand.
Here are the features that make it such a great chair.
Environmental-friendly & Durable Product
It is a highly environment-friendly unit made using a mixture of recycled detergent bottles and milk jugs: No trees are sacrificed in making this chair. And as mentioned, it is durable in all types of weather.
Here are more of its main features
- Comfortable – You cannot get anything better in terms of comfort in any other Adirondack chair. It is contoured in such a way that people can relax sitting in it.
- Convenient to store – It folds completely flat for easy storage as well as transport
- Since it is weather-resistant, it will not crack, splinter, peel, chip or rot
- Withstands weather
- Available in a huge color range to match your décor
- Convenient to move from one place to another
- Manufactured using environmentally friendly material
- Edges could have been improved more
- Low seat proportion might be a problem for people over 65 years
2. DURAWEATHER POLY Classic King Size Folding Adirondack Chair
- SUPREME COMFORT – Original Contour Comfort Design for Ultimate Relaxation – Extended Seat For Knee And Leg Relief – Easily Folds (No Tools Needed!) Exquisite Flushed Barrel-back with Smoothed Edges and Wider Arms.
- KING SIZE – We Include 30% More Material Than Cheaper Adirondack Chairs! Extremely Durable – 350 lb Weight Capacity. New Smooth Wood Grain Poly Looks EXACTLY Like Real Wood Without the Maintenance! Never Sand, Stain, or Waterproof Again.
- EXCLUSIVE MATERIALS – Leave It Outside Year Round. Constructed of DuraWeather Ultra Density Poly Lumber with Exclusive All-season Protectants. Powder Coat Painted 316 Stainless Steel Marine Grade Hardware Is Protected From Coastal Living, Chlorine, and De-Icing Salts.
- FADE AND RUST RESISTANT – UV Shield 3.0 Technology® Provides The Ultimate Protection From UV Rays – PolarPro® Tested in -20℉ Climates.
- ECO-FRIENDLY – Limited Lifetime Warranty – Made In The U.S.A. Since 1962 – Will Not Warp, Crack, Or Split. DIMENSIONS – 33″W x 33″D x 37″H
If you are concerned about both longevity and toughness, then consider this exceptional model. This Adirondack chair is great for relaxing on your patio or by the pool. You can even fold, pack it and take it to the beach!
Here are its key features and benefits:
- Maintenance Free! It is made from 97% superior polyethylene plastic – will not crack, split, or warp.
- Needs no sanding, staining or waterproofing. Leave it outside year-round!
- Wood Grain Poly: Looks And Feels just like real wood
- PolarPro tested At -20℉ and built to last even the harshest winters
- Stainless hardware is resistant to rust, chlorine, and saltwater
- UV Shield 3.0 technology means it will not fade as wood does – plus it is resistant to stains and scratches
- 350 lb. weight capacity. It has 30% more material than other top brands
- Cleans easily with a hose or even a power washer! (From 12″ or More)
- Its contour design ensures lasting comfort with a curved seat and back to fit your body so you can completely relax!
- You can fold it up without disassembling it
- Assembly is easy with accompanying video
- Give extremely comfortable sitting experience
- Available in a variety of variants & colors
- Stain-resistant finish
- It is heavier than other brands
- Somewhat pricier than others
3. Phat Tommy Recycled Adirondack Patio Chair (high weight capacity)
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY – made of thick recycled poly material and strong
- COMFORTABLE & STRONG – chair back and seat contoured for relaxing; chair capacity 450 pounds
- EASILY STORED – chair is foldable
- MADE IN USA/10 YEAR WARRANTY – superior craftsmanship. we stand behind our products
- DIMENSIONS Each Chair: 32″L x 35″W x 40″H 47 lbs. Seat: 22″W x 21″ D and 12” from ground
Nowadays, people are getting heavier. So, this chair is perfect for overweight people. With a capacity of 450 pounds, this Adirondack chair is known for its durability. It is backed with a superior ten-year warranty. Phat Tommy stands behind their product.
Here are the main points:
- 11 beautiful colors like black, dark red, green, teal, white
- Thick Eco-friendly Construction. Who does not want to save the environment? That is, they make it using thick recycled poly material. Not only does it save trees, but it uses up the plastic waste which is clogging our landfills and even making life hard for the fish in the ocean. (1)
- Its weight capacity of 450 pounds is proof that stronger chairs can be built without putting environment in danger.
- Beautiful Craftsmanship – It is nice to look at
- Made in the USA by US workers – so it is saving American jobs and American trees, too!
- And like other poly products, it retains its colors and keeps its charm even after years of outdoor use.
- Available in 11 different colors
- Very comfortable seat with a 450-pound capacity
- Backed by a ten year warranty period
- Expert assembly available (for addition service payment)
- More expensive than other chairs due to its heavier construction to accommodate greater weight
- Not available in grey color
- Guarantee period is shorter than other brands
If you want a rocking chair, we have got you covered
Polywood R100BL Presidential Rocking Chair
- This comfortable rocking chair, with its contoured seat, wide arms and slats that are easy on the back, will complete your porch or outdoor patio
- Does not splinter, crack, chip, peel, or rot and is resistant to corrosive substances such as oil, salt spray and other environmental stresses
- No painting, staining, waterproofing, or similar maintenance required
- Resists stains associated with wine and condiments and cleans easily with soap and water
- Made in the USA and backed by our 20-year limited residential warranty
Well, admittedly, this rocking chair is not foldable, but it’s so comfortable that it’s hard to pass up. The Polywood R100BL is a worthy pick for people who prefer rocking chairs. It is an all-weather chair that’s got wide arms and a contoured seat, that make for extremely comfortable sitting. It is available in a wide variety of colors, including black, lime, pacific blue, tangerine, and white, among others. Just pick your choice of color.
This chair an awesome combination of good looks and solid durability. The company has manufactured it using Polywood lumber (a mix of plastics from things like milk and soap bottles) that allows you to get the feel of wood without even cutting trees. Nor will you have to maintain it as you would with wood. It is guaranteed to last for 20 years! Furthermore, this eco-friendly chair can be yours at a budget-friendly price.
Here are the main points:
- Twenty Year Residential Warranty – The Polywood brand sells this product with a 20-year limited residential warranty. It means you will get complete protection if you do not use this chair for commercial purposes.
- Made in the United States helping US workers with jobs and guaranteed artistry backed by the guarantee
- Relaxed Posture – Just what you look for in a rocking chair, especially for the back, its wide arms and slats take comfort to a level beyond your expectations.
- Comes in many colors for correlating with a variety of decors
- Provide long-lasting durability
- Does not need waterproofing or staining
- Manufactured using eco-friendly material
- Assembly takes a little extra time
- Minor complaints about missing screws in the package
Merry Garden Foldable Wooden Adirondack Chair, Outdoor, Garden, Lawn, Deck Chair, Natural
- Wood Adirondack Chair – This Foldable Adirondack Chair is made out of weather-resistant Fir wood with a natural finish
- Ergonomically Designed – The ergonomic structure of this chair ensures optimal comfort and relaxation
- Foldable Chair – The chair itself is lightweight and very easy to handle, as it folds flat for easy storage
- Outdoor Chair – Use as a patio chair, garden chair, foldable lawn chair
- Easy Assembly – Typical assembly time for this unit is 30 – 45 minutes as there are several components, full instructions included
Sometimes, it’s important to give some perspective. We feature several of the best Polywood chairs, one of which is not foldable, which we included because there is nothing like a rocking chair for comfort.
And with this natural wood product, we will provide the contrast with the previous reviews, by featuring a product that is a foldable, Adirondack style chair, but rather than being Polywood, this is made from Douglas Fir. It is a lot less expensive – up to 70% cheaper than the other featured Adirondack chairs.
It is also much lighter, only about 20 pounds versus the other chairs which weigh over 30 pounds, and in the case of the Phat Tommy and the King Size Duraweather, 44 and 48 pounds, respectively.
So, what is the issue with this chair?
- It is only half the weight of Polywood, so it’s a lot easier to move around
- It is definitely cheaper
- It is ‘natural’ if you really try to minimize the amount of plastic in your life
- It is a good product if you are handy with tools
- If you do not treat the wood with varnish or preservative of some kind, it will not last long. On the other hand, if you keep it inside when the weather is bad, it will last longer
- It is over 70% less expensive than the cheapest competitor reviewed here
Bottom Line: You Get What You Pay For
It has a much lower satisfaction rating than the other chairs, as you can see by checking their star ratings.
- Most affordable in the short term
- Light and easy to move around
- Foldable for easy storage or transport
- It is real wood
- Takes maintenance or it will deteriorate
- Some have complained that the wood itself is not high quality and as a result felt it is flimsy
- Unlikely to last as long as Polywood or similar types of plastic substitutes for real wood
- Does need to be stored in case of bad weather, unlike Polywood, and its equivalents
Best Folding Polywood Adirondack Buyer’s Guide
What are the things to consider while shopping for patio and lawn outdoor chairs?
Decide what your priorities are in terms of quality and characteristics. Here is a list of things to consider, when choosing your Adirondack chair.
Is it wood, which requires maintenance at least annually, or synthetic, such as HDPE, or some other long-lasting plastic, such as Polywood? Wood is unlikely to last as long as Polywood
An Adirondack chair is made for relaxing outdoors. So, it is important that the chair should be comfortable to sit in. Please make sure that the construction of the chair is according to the way you want to sit in it. Is it big enough for you and others who may want to use it for themselves?
Unless you buy it locally and already put together, you yourself may have to put it together or find someone to do so. Most models do have an optional fee to pay a professional, to make up for lost time. You should go for a unit that comes with a complete set of hardware with access to assembly directions, or you can easily find a handyman to do it for you.
Price is a vital factor that should be taken seriously while buying a folding Adirondack chair. You can find it with as low as US$ 100 with fewer features, whereas more features mean a higher price tag, so buy a unit that fits your budget perfectly. Do not incur debt for something that will cost as much in interest as the chair itself!
Color Option & Retention
These chairs are sold in many different colors by numerous brands, but we have narrowed it down to make it easier to choose the one that fits your situation. Additionally, while it is best for a long lasting chair, if you cannot afford the price, a less expensive chair may be your best option.
Choosing the Right Size
Finally, you also want to be sure to choose the right size. Many of these chairs will stand between 36 and 42 inches tall, 30 to 34 inches wide, and approximately 35 to 38 inches deep. Depending on the material you choose, their weight can also vary significantly.
To find the most comfortable chair, pay close attention to its overall height. If you are on the shorter side, then you may want to consider a lower seat height, so it is easier to get in and out of the chair as needed. Taller people, however, will want something that does not sit as close to the ground.
When placing your Adirondack chairs, you also want to be sure to place them at least three feet apart to give everyone a good amount of space. This also makes it much easier and more hassle-free to get in and out of the chairs.
Accessorize Your Adirondack Chair
Did you know that you can also accessorize your new Adirondack chair? You can easily add an ottoman or footstool for some additional leg support. It also makes it easier for you to sit back, relax, and even doze off. Cushions and headrests can also be added to your new chair for additional comfort and support.
Our team has tried to simplify things. First, we looked at Adirondack Chairs. Next, we considered different situations:
- Some people may not need a folding Adirondack chair, but prefer a rocking chair
- Others may be more price-conscious and are willing to buy a folding wooden Adirondack chair
- Three choices meet all three criteria: Adirondack, folding, and Polywood
- One meets two criteria: Adirondack and folding (but not Polywood)
- One meets two criteria: Adirondack, Polywood, (but does not fold)–it’s a rocking chair
The first step in finding the best folding Polywood Adirondack chair is determining if it is the right chair for you. These chairs recline and have a backwards sloping seat. It sits very close to the ground. The arms are also designed to be very wide, so you can have a much better grip for getting out of the chair.
Due to this design, these chairs are meant for reclining and relaxing. If you have any kind of back or leg problems, then these chairs are probably not going to prove to be the best choice for you. It is much more difficult to get in and out of these kinds of chairs when compared to other chairs that sit much higher off the ground.
However, they are also great for entertaining. The wide arms allow for the perfect spot to rest a plate or drink, so nothing has to be balanced on your lap. The contoured backs of Adirondack chairs also provide your back with some much-needed support as you sit and enjoy yourself.
Want even more comfort? Consider adding in some cushions or even a headrest pillow to add to the overall comfort of the chair during your lounging time.
Finally, make sure that once you decide this is the chair for you, that you choose the right materials. HDPE lumber is always a favorite because it is designed and manufactured to last a lifetime. It maintains its great appearance and is incredibly easy to maintain. You will also find that Polywood lumber chairs come in a variety of different color options, so you will always find exactly what it is you are looking for.
Ready to find the newest addition for your outdoor entertaining space?
Simply click on the buttons for the ones you are interested in and feel comfortable proceeding to get the one you want. But if you’re still not sure, here is a link to check out all 1000 choices.
Thanks for reading!